Saturday, November 04, 2006

How to get what you really really want...

Some stuff from the Spice Girls fan book, written by The Spice Girls. I'm not putting this up because i think it is solely responsible for damaging our children, or anything like that, or anything as wanky as it's encouragement to working class girls to sell their sexuality as a means to an end...

I'm putting it up for the tone, really. I think it's quite interesting how on programmes like The Word a woman could drop her pants to a stunned audience. Likewise, though the Spice Girls aren't that long ago, the tone is actually (messages aside) alot more gruff and full of swearing. Which is a bit weird, as i really think that if we were to see a girl drop her trousers on an evening tellly programme, we'd be as shocked as we were then. The Spice Girls would NEVER be allowed to say 'Bitch' in a fan book now. Why? (i know why, but you tell me...)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 comments:

Julia Indelicate said...

testing testing....

PC said...

The Spice Girls... never a fan (although I could probably have been caught humming Wannabe at the time, same as everyone else) but the thing that surprised me when they made it big, and I guess I kind of liked, was that they apparently did it by themselves and weren't some middle-aged marketing bloke's fantasy. (Although I'm sure they were that anyway).
But I'm surprised at you saying that the tone has changed in just, what, 5 years? No "bitch" now... really? Why? I don't think it would create any fuss here... is, or do you think that England differs from Europe (or the US) a lot when it comes to gender and sexual issues?

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't think of much to say about this, what wit it being six in the morning and all, but that list of "Girl Power" is one of the funniest things I've read in a while :-) then I remember that it was written for 7 year olds, and it's just a shame :-(

and PC, the Spice Girls were OWNED by the same guy as S club seven, who took overs months before they got anywhere and came up with all the image and name stuff.

Still the idea of teaching the young girls that being equal to men means being the same as men is nowt to applaud.

"LOOK LOOK! I CAN DRINK TWELVE PINTS TOO! I"M LIBERATED!!!"

I've forgotten where I was going, so enough rambling

Anonymous said...

Ah, The Spice Girls: cynically pedalling everything from crisps to dolls to - good Lord! - even some music every now and then under the guise of some kind of chavette rebranding of feminism.

Julia Indelicate said...

An interesting(?) article in The Guardian, just to follow up this stuff.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1949277,00.html